Monday, September 12, 2011

School Finance, Week 4 Part 4

For the 2011-2012 school year, 87.75% of my district's budget is allocated to personnel costs.  In a time when unprecedented funding cuts to public education in Texas appear to be inevitable for the next couple of years, there is little way around the fact that teaching positions will have to be eliminated in order to absorb these cuts in funding.  Even if it were possible to cut all of the items funded by the remaining 12% of the budget (which, of course, is not practical), my district would not be able to absorb all of the reduction in funding we were assessed.

2 comments:

  1. Although my district's percentage of money allocated to salaries is much less than your's, the remainder of the comment you made is also true of our budget. We could not raise salaries 5% across the board without a generous revenue increase and in these harsh economic times, I do not see that happening in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane. I think your district probably has the highest percentage I have seen up to this point. I agree with Becky's comment, our budget was reduced (like many others). We are at almost 82% of budget allocated to personnel expenses.

    ReplyDelete